Lions are carnivorous mammals that come from the family Felidae. They are geographically distributed in mostly sub-Saharan east and southern Africa but can also be found in zoos internationally, India and some parts of Asia . The population of these vulnerable animals has dramatically decreased in the past few decades with no solid reason as to why. It is thought that clashes with humans and habitat loss may be a possibility, but to help further preserve and monitor these creatures, they are usually kept within reserves and parks. Only eight sub species are recognized today and there is a small range of hybrids with lions mating with tigers, jaguars or leopards to create unique creatures. This is discouraged and only initiated at zoos.
Interesting information on lions:
- The largest lion was recorded to be nearly 700 pounds and nearly 11 foot long.
- The oldest lion on record was nearly 29 years old.
- A lion's eyesight is five times better than a human being.
- A lion can hear prey from a mile away.
- Lions can smell nearby prey and estimate how long it was in the area.
- A lion's roar can be heard from five miles away.
- Tigers are so similar to lions that without their coats, their bodies look so similar only experts can tell them apart.
- When males join a pride, they usually kill other cubs.
- Lions can go four days without drinking.
- There is less than 50 000 lions in the world today.
- The gestation period is about 110 days.
- A lion can drink for as long as 20 mins after eating
- A male eats first, even if the female catches the prey
- Lions rarely eat an entire prey, leaving the rest for other animals such as vultures
- The average lifespan is 13 years
If your heading out in one of the many jungles of Africa you can see live wild lions playing and feeding to this day.
Just imagine getting your photo taken while your on a live safari hunt with real lions how awesome would that be?Just remember to make sure you have comprehensive travel insurance!
I went on a Lion Safari by myself as it has always been a dream of mine to do something like that. These animals are breathtaking - they have pride and carry a mysterious aura that draw people to them. I think lions truly reflect the spirit of life - lionesses babysit other mothers' cub while she will hunt and live in groups called 'prides' with as many as 40 lions in them! I was always fascinated by lions, but since going on the tour I have learnt so much more!