Lion Football Teams
Around the world, the mere name of the lion is used to represent and reflect the ferociousness and dominance of the animal. Countries, sports teams and organizations recognize the powerful spirit the lion carries and embrace its title, hoping it will empower and echo them. Ranging from the British Lions, a rugby league football team in Britain, to the Brisbane Lions in Australia, an AFL team, the universal acknowledgment of a lion’s prowess is clearly evident.
- The Great Britain Lions, consisting of players from England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland, is a major national rugby league team that comes together occasionally. Winning the Rugby League World Cup three times and playing in series and tours against other countries, the Great Britain Lions have also competed for the Ashes and Baskerville Shield. Their first game was in 1908 and at the time was referred to as the ‘ Northern Union’. Their first tour was in 1910 and was the beginning of traveling overseas for the World Cup, Ashes, test matches and more. The Great Britain Lions have played against many countries, including Papua New Guinea. There has been much discussion over which countries the Great Britain Lions actually represent considering numerous splits into separate teams to represent their own nations, nevertheless the team has and always will be one to live up to the essence of rugby league.
- Detroit , in the United States of America, has had several football teams since 1920. It welcomed the Detroit Heralds, the Detroit Panthers and than the Detroit Wolverines but all failed until 1934. The Detroit Lions dominated the scene and made Detroit proud. In only their second year, the Detroit Lions won the NFL championship. Throughout the years, they continued to be successful, winning several division titles and league championships. In the mid 70s’ they moved to a new domed stadium, the Silverdome, in Michigan which continues to be the world’s largest air supported structure that’s able to seat tens of thousands but now the team trains at Allen Park. The Detroit Lions have had over 24 coaches and a few different headquarters yet still continue to accomplish more good than bad and keep Detroit proud as ever.
- In Gozo, Malta in the 1930s, a man named Salvu Psaila founded the Sannat Lions Football Teamand joined the Gozo Football Association (GFA). They only played friendly, amateur games due to a lack of meeting place and soccer ground. When the war came, the team disintegrated and went to different teams until after the war came to a cease. Throughout the history of the Sannat Lions, they have gone through numerous struggles varying from not having enough players for a team, no headquarters, accusations of not registering as a team and suffering humiliating losses such as coming last in the Gozitan League in the 1959 – 1959 seasons. However in the 1964 – 1965 seasons, they came second and two years later they won, promoting to First Division, and they came second place several consecutive years after that too. It was than the golden years begun and suddenly the Sannat Lions were the most respected and loved team in Gozo. To this day they continue to promote higher in the ranks and glorify its country with amazing wins and honors.
- The Italy Lions Soccer Club,also known as the Sons of Italy Lions were created in 1995 and have been playing superbly since existence. Despite using the name of Italy, the team is based in Canada. Winning gold and bronze medal in two separate Canadian National Championships and since joining the Manitoba Major Soccer League Premier Division and have been double crown winners and league champions a few times within the league. The soccer team is a remarkable success and also shows dedication to the development of the youth of Manitoba.
- The Brisbane Lions were created in 1996, when the AFL approved a merger between the Brisbane Bears and the Fitzroy Lions, joining national competition a year later. This was the first time in history that two clubs were united together, creating a fantastic mixture of proud history and tradition. The Brisbane Bears, with no long term-backing and only newcomers and the Fitzroy Lions, who suffered financial struggles, have created a strong team who have won many honors and continue to make successful wins.